Evan Tucker Lytton-Mcfalls
November 16, 2006 - February 9, 2008
Find A Grave Memorial

Another beautiful, innocent little Angel has died from brain injuries after yet ANOTHER mothers boyfriend shakes the child and causes a death. On February 9, 2008, the Christiansburg Rescue Squad responded to a call of a baby not breathing. Evan was found lying alone, in a hallway, unresponsive by Richard Graham. William Schamback Shelton, who was 28 years old at the time, was standing just a few feet away and Stephanie Lytton, Evan's mother was in a bedroom while two other children also stayed in the home. Evan was transported by ambulance to Carilion New River Valley Medical Center and eventually taken to Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital. After being removed from life support at 8:20 p.m., Evan died.

William was Stephanie's boyfriend at the time was originally charged with child endangerment. After Evan died. the charge was changed to second degree murder. Chief Medical Examiner, Christena Robers said that Evan had blood in both of his eyes, severe swelling as well as hemorrhaging of his brain tissue, deep bruises on his head, face, stomach, back, legs and bottom and the muscles in his neck were torn which showed he had been shaken as well as beaten. Evan had injuries that were as much as two days old and his death was ruled a homicide. William sat in court and didn't respond or change his expression as the charges against him and the report of the injuries he had caused to Evan were read.

In court, when Stephanie, took the stand, William bit his lip and at times seemed to be wiping away tears as she told the courtroom what took place on the day Evan died. Stephanie said that she and William had been arguing after he accuse her of loving Evan more than she loved her other two boys who were five years and two months old. At that point in the argument, Stephanie said she had told William that she had a closer relationship with Evan, but she did not love him more than her other two sons. Stephanie went to bed that night just before midnight. At about 1:30 a.m., William woke her up and said that Evan was not breathing. Stephanie had called 911 and then ran to Evan's room to find him on the floor, unresponsive and she started to do CPR on him. Stephanie moved Even to the hall when she heard the ambulance.

William at first told police that he shook and slapped Evan after he had a seizure, to try to revive him. William took a polygraph test and then changed his story and while crying said that Evan had tried to walk away from him so he blew hard into his mouth and shook him and then Evan seized up and stopped breathing. William said he was shaking the fire out of the Evan and had banged his head on the floor several times while doing CPR:

"I never meant to hurt him that bad. I guess I'll have his death on my hands"

Joe Painter, the Defense Attorney, asked if doing CPR could have caused the fatal injuries and was told that the injuries were so severe that they could not have been called an accident and it was revealed that Evan's medical records showed no history of seizures. Apparently on February 1, 2008, Police and County Social Services were called after Evan was found to be having trouble walking and had bruises on his head, neck and ears. It was decided at the time that there had been no abuse and even though it was agreed that William would not be left alone with Even, no charges would be filed. AGAIN, a parent is advised NOT to leave her child alone with an adult and that adult remains in the life of the child. I can't find words to describe how disgusted this makes me. Why can't a mother see that if someone is telling her NOT to leave her child alone with someone, that it means that person is NOT some one who should be around her children AT ALL? In my opinion, Stephanie needs to take some of the blame for what was done to her child. Also partly to blame is CPS for KNOWING that they didn't want William alone with Evan and not  doing anything to prevent it beyond telling Stephanie not to allow it. If they had doubts about him, he should NOT have been around Evan at all.

Stephanie yelled at William as she was leaving the courtroom:

"You killed my baby. I hate you. I hate you. I hate you"

William sat silent and didn't move at all during the outburst. The judge later told Stephanie that he could not have that kind of behavior in the court room:

"I'm not going to tell you that I know what you're going through, because I don't, but when this case
starts, I can't have that type of outburst to occur"

The judge told her she had a right to be there and left it up to her if she could go attend the trial or not.

During a wake for Evan, on February 12, a fight apparently broke out between Stephanie and William's family. Stephanie, Deborah Pressley, Suzanne Cananiss and Rachel Jarvis were all charged and found not guilty of assault and battery after the fight. Ten people testified before District Court Judge Randal Duncan about what took place. The Judge said that judgment of the women was impaired to some degree and that emotions were running high:

"The court wants everyone here to examine the situation from the perspective of
Ms Lytton. She
lost her child and there were hard feelings between her family and
the boys father's family"

To avoid tensions, two viewings had been scheduled where Evan's mother and her family were supposed to be there from 12:00 p.m. until 2:00 p.m.. William's family was to be there from 2:00 p.m. until 4:00 p.m.. Stephanie had stayed at the New Hope Church Of God until about 1:00 p.m. when her Uncle told her she needed to eat and took her to get some lunch:

"I hadn't eaten in three days"

Upon returning to the church, they found some of William's family and friends outside smoking. Stephanie walked over and asked what the friends were doing there since the viewing was supposed to be for immediate family only. When she tried to go into the church, Deborah Pressley pushed her and would not let her into the church. At that point, Rachel Jarvis attacked Stephanie:

"I was on the ground and they were both on top of me"

Pictures were used in court of the injuries Stephanie had from the attack. Deborah claimed that though she had never met Stephanie before, Stephanie had ran up to her, slapped her and said she had no business being there:

"She was slinging, hitting, spitting, cussing. I never touched her"
Deborah Pressley

Deborah also said that while Stephanie slapped her and pulled her hair, her Uncle had held her wrists to allow the attack. Suzanne and Rachel said that they did hit Stephanie, though it was only after she hit them first. Stephanie said they were lying.

Each of the women were warned:

"If there is any inappropriate behavior, you will be removed. I will put you in jail"

Both families were escorted out of the courthouse at different times and there were no more problems.

In April of 2009, William Shelton was found guilty of second degree murder and the jury gave a recommendation of 20 years in prison. ONLY 20 years? How sad is that? A child loses his life and the people who could punish him for the rest of his life, choose only 20 years. After only four hours, the jury came with the guilty verdict and then the same jury took only about an hour to recommend a sentence.

"I'm excited we got a guilty verdict. I'm proud of the prosecutor for representing my baby so well.
It doesn't bring my baby back, but justice was served"

Stephanie also said that she hoped the punishment would help to promote child abuse awareness and said that she had not known what an abused child looked like and that it was important to educate people. Sorry, Stephanie, when someone tells you NOT to leave your child alone with a man, if that does not educate you and send up many, many red flags, I don't know what kind of education would help YOU.

Cathy Sowers, Evan's paternal grandmother said:

"Nothings going to change the fact that that the baby is gone. But it does give a little lift off

Commonwealth's Attorney Brad Fich said:

"We've been through several defense attorneys, several motions. But I'm very happy with the result.
I do feel the defendant was brought to justice"

William's mother, Shirley cried on the stand as she spoke:

"He was a boy that helped. He worked in the ministry and played music. He was always helping
children. We're not evil people. We've been praying for the family, too, It's a baby. Oh, God"

On the stand, William said:

"Be gentle with the time you give me because I am innocent. I really am a loving person. I played with
her kids. I loved her kids"

The jury could have recommend a sentence of five to 40 years. The IDIOTS, only recommended 20 and that's exactly what William was sentenced to for beating Even to death. In September of 2009 Circuit Court Judge Bobby Turk told William that he was not in court that day to judge his character, only to see that Justice was done. Assistant Montgomery County Commonwealth's Attorney Patrick Jenson asked that the sentenced recommended by the jury be imposed and said that he felt William had a lack of remorse for what he did.

When asked by Patrick Jenson if his son had ever showed any remorse for what he had done to Evan, his father

"He's always told me, "Dad, I didn't do that", and I've said "Son, I believe it".
Reverend J.B. Shelton

J.B. Shelton also said that his children were always taught to help others who were in need and that William had still been doing what he was brought up to do even while he was in jail. William had asked his father to bring Bibles to some of the other inmates and he prays with them as well as sharing his money with them since some of the people in jail had no money at all:

"I don't want him to be in jail, but for what he's doing, I'm happy"
J.B. Shelton

Patrick Jenson told the judge that the evidence against William was overwhelming. In court it was stated that WIlliam had wanted to make a statement, but he was too upset about the death of Evan.


Evan Tucker Lytton-McFallsLytton-McFalls,

Evan Tucker, “My little Tucky-Bell” 14 months, of Christiansburg, went to his heavenly Father, Saturday, February 9, 2008 to be the most beautiful angel in heaven.

God gave him to us, November 15, 2006. He was preceded in death by his maternal great-grandparents; Glenn and Nora Thompson, aunt; Alicia Lytton and uncle Kristopher McFalls.

Left behind to cherish this beautiful angel are his mother; Stephanie Lytton, brothers; Ethan Lytton and Tyler Jacob Lytton-McFalls, father; Lucas McFalls, sister; Terra McFalls, maternal grandparents; Marvin Lytton of Christiansburg, Carolyn Lytton of Floyd, paternal grandparents; Dennis and Cathy Sowers of Floyd, great grandparents; Jerry and Loretta Lytton of Christiansburg, special uncle; Scott Lytton, aunt; Amanda Sowers. He is also survived by many special aunts, uncles and cousins. A special friend; Lori Mitcham, other special friends, and family at New Hope Church of God also survive him.

The family will receive friends Wednesday, February 13, 2008 from 5 – 8 p.m. at New Hope Church of God, Mud Pike Road, Christiansburg. The funeral service will be held at the church Thursday, February 14, 2008 at 2 p.m. with Pastor T. Michael Bond and Rev. Buford Linkous officiating. Interment to follow in Roselawn Memorial Gardens.

Death Occurred in the state of Virginia

If you do not like what you see printed on this page, please see my DISCLAIMER statement. THANK YOU!

For information about how to report child abuse, please click the link below and you will be taken to a page that has an alphabetical, state by state listing of how to report child abuse for which state you are looking for and for some other countries.

Visit my child abuse quilt to see other places about preventing child abuse.

This page will open up in a new window so you won't lose your place while
visiting the Angels on my site.

Call this number to report child abuse ANY WHERE in the United States!
1-800-4-A-Child  1-800-422-4453

Child Abuse Intro
Child Abuse Links 1
It Is A Human Life

7 Steps To Prevention
Child Abuse Links 2
Child Abuse Poetry
Child Abuse Songs
Report Abuse
Child Abuse Links 3
Child Abuse Quilt