Amy Rayne (Lewis) Dye
June 12, 2001 - February 4, 2011
Find A Grave Memorial

On the February 4, 2011, Amy Dye went to school and her teacher would later say that she was upset because she knew she was in trouble at home for taking food from the lunch box of ne her friends the day before. Amy told the teacher that her parents were angry with her and that they had threatened to send her away for what she had done. If her parents had actually done what they threatened to do, Amy might still be alive today. Later that day, Amy went home and she and her brother were both facing punishment. Garrett Dye had taken the car without asking for permission and Amy had taken the food from her friend. Christopher Dye, the father of the two, sent them outside to shovel grave and when Amy would not stop talking, Garrett beat her to death with a jack handle.

Amy was born, Amythz Rayne Lewis, to Sharmesha Muldrew, in Portland, Oregon. Amy's father was not in her life due to a brain injury, though her grandmother on her fathers side was. At the age of three, Amy was taken away from her mother was living in a domestic violence situation and agreed to give up her rights to her daughter, in 2005. Amy was taken to the home of her grandmother, Kris Richard, though it was suggested to her that she not adopt Amy due to her bad health. Amy would spend time in several foster homes before she was adopted by a relative of Amy's father, her great aunt, Kimberly Dye. Kimberly was divorced from Christopher Dye who had a record with Social Services due to having whipped Garrett with a belt 30 times for acting up in school. Christopher did not live in the home, though at the time, Kimberly said they had a good relationship. Kimberly said she had always wanted a daughter and was happy that she was going to be able to adopt Amy and her sons were excited to have her live with them and sent  a letter to Amy:

"We're so happy you are going to be a part of our family"
Kimberly, Myles 7 Garrett - 2006

That happiness could not have lasted long since Amy showed up to school many times with bumps, bruises and cuts. During her time with the Dye family, Amy had been taken to a parking lot of a hotel and left there as punishment for misbehaving and at one point, Christopher had told CPS it was a good time to teach Amy a lesson and admitted that he had returned a few minutes later and found her crying and he told her if her behavior did not improve, she would be left there. At times Amy was forced to go outside into the cold to get clean clothes to change into after she had wet herself. A report from CPS stated that Kimberly told them that she was tired of Amy pooping on herself and that if she was going to act like a dog, she was going to be treated like a dog. Police would later find the drawers from Amy's room, outside, under a tarp in the back yard, with her clothes in them.

CPS KNEW that Christopher, a known child abuser, was living in the home and did NOTHING to protect Amy. How is it that these people who are paid to protect children, fail them so many times, over and over? So many children die while in the "protection" of CPS. Records show that about six months after Amy died, Christopher was found to have been an inattentive caregiver using unusual discipline and Social Services substantiated a finding of neglect against Christopher. No action was taken and the case was closed.

Around the same time, Garrett had been in trouble for going to school with a gun and had gone to a juvenile detention center for a drug violation. If things were not bad enough, though she said that Christopher was not living in the home at the time she adopted Amy, Kimberly eventually allowed him to move in and help take care of the three children. School employees repeatedly made reports to state Child Protective Services in Kentucky about the abuse they knew was taking place.

Kimberly had been approved as a foster parent for Amy in July of 2006 and would receive about $550. a month for taking her in. In school, reports were made about bruises, bumps and cuts on Amy as well as bruises on Garrett. Kimberly was able to lie and say that Amy was a clumsy child who fell a lot and was easily bruised and she told case workers that Amy had a tendency to lie. Amy had stated that her brothers were hurting her and even so, the case was closed and the adoption became final on March 17, 2007.

On the day he killed Amy, Garrett said she would not be quiet while they were shoveling gravel as punishment and he ended up hitting her in the head with a jack handle, four times. Amy was lying on the ground and he dragged her body into the bushes. Garrett then went into the house, changed into clean clothes and hid the clothes he had been wearing. Amy was reported missing later that night when she didn't come home. Police did a search of the home as well as the property and they found Amy's body. Garrett was arrested two days later and charged with her murder.

After Amy was killed, teachers said that she was bright little girl with excellent grades who had never exhibited behavioral problems of any kind at school. Amy's biological mother was upset to learn that her daughter had been killed and that Children's Protective Services had been alerted to the abuse her daughter had been suffering and had not done anything to protect her:

"They didn't do nothing for her, she slipped through the cracks"
Sharmesha Muldrew

Child protection records were released and the allegations about abuse and neglect and how it was either ignored or dismissed by the CPS of Kentucky, came to light. Representative John Tilley, Chairman Of The House of Judiciary Committee stated that Amy's death was a shock to his region and he was considering  a committee to look into the child welfare system and the lack of accountability:

"Clearly in this case there was a systematic failure that had resulted in the death of a
little girl.
This was a senseless tragedy and I don't think this was an isolated case"

A judge, Phillip Sheperd, who had ordered the Cabinet For Health And Family Services to open records for Amy's
case, said that the agency had turned a blind eye to the reports made about the abuse Amy was going through:

"An innocent nine year old girl was brutally beaten to death after enduring months of
physical and
emotional abuse in the home approved by the Commonwealth of Kentucky
for her adoption"

Phillip Sheperd placed the entire cabinet file in the courts records including Amy's adoption and all of the reports of abuse she suffered:

"The files contain no indication the cabinet ever took notice of the fact that the same
household in which
Amy was reportedly being abused was the same household in
which the cabinet had previously substantiated abuse"

Cabinet Officials tried to keep the records sealed:

"It is a tragedy any time a child dies. We support the work of our staff when they follow
the law, even
when tragic events happen that could not have been foreseen. When
staff doe snot follow the law, we take
appropriate disciplinary action"
Jill Midkiff - Cabinet Spokesperson

Christopher Dye made it clear that he and Kimberly had no comments to make about the case and neither of them had been charged with anything. Kris Richard was horrified after finding out about the dismissed reports of abuse going on in the Dye home:

I am so angry that any of this took place. I'm sickened, just sickened by this whole thing"

Amy's grandmother said she was haunted by what her granddaughter had gone through and wondered what would happen to the state of Kentucky.

In January of 2012, Todd Circuit Judge, Tyler GIll, sentenced Garrett Dye, who was 18 at the time, to 50 years in
prison for the murder of his sister, Amy with a chance for parole in 20 years. Judge Tyler Gill had nothing good to say to the Cabinet For Health and Family Services even saying they are a dysfunctional institution:

"This crime has drawn a lot of attention and left this community dazed and confused
and angry
and searching for answers as to why this could have happened. It's left us
wondering how our
own state government could have contributed to this by
failing to protect Amy"

Garrett was 17 years old when he murdered Amy and his lawyer, Dennis Ritchie said that he plans to appeal the conviction because Garrett did not have a lawyer with him when he confessed to killing Amy. Certainly Dennis knows that a confession is still a confession no matter if a lawyer is there or not? Did Amy suffer any less because there was no lawyer there to see what was going on in that home? Did Garrett not having a lawyer, change what he did? Amy was brutally murdered at the hands of her big brother, someone who SHOULD have protected he in her life. Saying his confession doesn't matter because there was no lawyer there, is an insult to Amy.

Amy's death has brought about calls for the Governor, Steve Beshear, to lead an investigation and a complete over haul of child protection services:

"This is a life and death situation. The Governor cannot abrogate responsibility"

Apparently, the office of the Governor had not made any comments at all about the case or the call for reform. A
spokesman, Terry Sebastian, had no comment and said that all questions should be brought to the cabinet. Of course Cabinet officials would not comment, hiding behind confidentiality.

The only family member to show up for the hearing of Garrett, was Christopher Dye and he had no comments after the sentence was given. Christopher and Kimberly have never been charged with anything in relation to the abuse that Amy suffered or her death. There was no one there to speak on behalf of Amy.

The judge wished Garrett good luck, though I am not sure why he would do that for someone without a heart who showed no remorse for killing a beautiful, innocent, little Angel:

"I hope you make the best of your life, even though you are going to spend the
best part of it in prison"


Amythz Rayne Dye
(June 12, 2001 - February 4, 2011) 

Amythz Rayne Dye, Age 9 years old, of Trenton, Kentucky, passed away on Friday, February 4, 2011 in Trenton. 

A celebration of life service will be held at 11 a.m. on Tuesday, February 8, 2011 at the Spring Creek Baptist Church, in Clarksville, Tennessee, with the Rev. Paul Bunger officiating. Visitation will be from 9 a.m. until the hour of service Tuesday at the church. The remains are to be cremated. McReynolds-Nave & Larson Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.

A memorial bench was set up at the South Todd Elementary School to honor Amy.


In June of 2013, it was reported that since Investigators had use threats of the death penalty when questioning Garrett Thomas Dye about Amy's death, the Supreme Court ordered a new trial for Garrett and it was ordered that a new trial should take place to decide if evidence given by Garrett during that investigation should be allowed to enter in to his new trial:

"Not only did the officer erroneously convey that Dye was death eligible, but also
that he was
certain to receive a death sentence unless he confessed to his sisters
death. We hold that
repeatedly threatening a 17 year old with the death penalty is
objectively coercive"

Justice Will T. Scott

The officers who questioned Garrett were also said to have made comments hinting at the fact that in prison, he might get raped or beaten up, they are quoted as saying:

"Everybody's gonna forget you until you get to Eddyville then they'll remind
you of what
happened. Every day, they'll remind you"
One Of The Officers

Justice Will T. Scott added in his comments:

"We will not feign ignorance to the fact that the officers were alluding to prison violence
and or rape
and that is precisely how Dye understood these comments"

Apparently, Garrett's father had told Police he didn't want his son questioned without a lawyer and they released him, but arrested him the next day and questioned him for four hours repeatedly using the death penalty references. As it turns out, what they SHOULD have told him was that he was not eligible for the death penalty because of his age.

In January of 2014 Circuit Judge Tyler Gill ruled that the trail for Garrett would be moved to to another county based on pretrial publicity. Judge Gill overruled a motion to suppress Garrett's confession from the previous trial.

Return To Amy's Story
Read News Stories Related To Amy's Story

Death Occurred in the state of Kentucky

If you do not like what you see printed on this page, please see my DISCLAIMER statement. THANK YOU!

For information about how to report child abuse, please click the link below and you will be taken to a page that has an alphabetical, state by state listing of how to report child abuse for which state you are looking for and for some other countries.

Visit my child abuse quilt to see other places about preventing child abuse.

This page will open up in a new window so you won't lose your place while
visiting the Angels on my site.

Call this number to report child abuse ANY WHERE in the United States!
1-800-4-A-Child  1-800-422-4453

Child Abuse Intro
Child Abuse Links 1
It Is A Human Life

7 Steps To Prevention
Child Abuse Links 2
Child Abuse Poetry
Child Abuse Songs
Report Abuse
Child Abuse Links 3
Child Abuse Quilt