Tramelle LaVaunn Sturgis
October 26, 2001 - November 4, 2011
Find A Grave Memorial

On May 27, 2011, an anonymous caller to the Department of Child Services in Southbend Indiana, would spend 20 minutes giving details of the abuse that several children were suffering at the hands of one man, their father:

"Please, go tonight. Please go. I'm not just saying this to be saying this. Please go. Something has
to be done. If they go there right now, they'll see how them kids is beat if they go there right now because
I don't want it to get on the news and the boy died and then everybody come forward and they gonna say,
Well, why nobody came forward from before"

The call would not be the first time someone had tried to help these children. A teacher at Tramelle's school, Brynne Scalon, sent him to the school nurse in February of 2010 with an arm injury. Tramelle told the nurse that his father had hit him with a stick and the nurse, Patricia Wallis, called DCS. A social worker was sent to the home to do a check up and his father, Terry Sturgis, told the worker that Tramelle had been hurt while playing and that things were going find in the home. Terry went to the school next day to tell them that he didn't appreciate Tramelle's teacher messing with his family and his life and that he takes care of his family and nobody else has a right to interfere.

“Tramelle was a student every teacher would want in their class. He always had a smile
on his face, he absolutely loved being at school. He was a loving, caring, hard worker.
He was a leader in the classroom”
Brynne Scalon

In November of 2011, a call went out to the police who found Tramelle, unresponsive in the living room of his home at around 3:50 a.m.  Terry Sturgis told police he had found his son at the bottom of the basement steps and that his son was not moving, also stating the had not harmed his son at all. Tramelle was transported to the hospital where it was said his body was cool to the touch and he was dead. Tramelle's body had bruises and burn marks, a broken leg, a broken arm, welts, burns and bruises all over his body. Tramelle's brother stated that they had been beaten by their father throughout the night and that their father had used duct tape to restrain them while beating them with a stick.

Terry Sturgis was arrested and charged with battery as well as murder, with another battery charge for injuring his 14 year old son.

"It is absolutely the most horrendous crime that I've seen. Seeing the photos, seeing this child
is absolutely appalling. If this was a third word country and this happened, this father who did
this would already be dead. If this doesn't cry out to the community to step forward and when
you see something, any kind of abuse, err on the side of caution, don't you know, I don't want
to get involved, they may not be right, yet it out, tell somebody, I can't express to you strongly
enough how horrible this is"

Commander Tim Corbett - Homicide Unit

Seems the anonymous caller was correct. After the call and the nurses complaint, nothing was done. How much more can a community do to protect children from their parents and those in charge who are NOT willing to listen and help them? Eight other children were removed from the home and taken into custody by the Department of Child Services.

Terry eventually admitted that he had been the one to kill his son after using a club and a belt on him. Delia Castille, Terry's mother claimed that even though Terry and his children lived in the basement of her home, she had never witnessed any abuse, that turned out to be a lie. Delia was arrested and charged with three counts of neglect, which is a B class felony.  Delia suddenly remembered that on at least ten different occasions, she heard her son say that he was going to "whoop" the kids and even admitted that she would give money to her son or provide him with other things in order to get him to stop beating on these children. One of Tramelle's siblings stated that Delia knew that her son had burned the children with torches made out of roach spray and his lighter and would then put cocoa butter on the burns. Children in the home were burned with an iron on their stomachs and legs and at one point a screwdriver was heated up and used to burn Tramelle's torso and genitals, after inspecting Tramelle's body and that of his siblings, it was confirmed that there were old and new burn marks.

A forensic interviewer was told by another sibling that there was a time when Delia yelled at her son to stop or he was going to kill the children at which point Terry yelled that the children were going to kill him by making him hurt them. There is no record of Delia ever turning her son in for child abuse.

With almost 800 pictures taken, there was no lack of visual evidence for the jury to study. Jury members had different reactions as they viewed pictures in court, a few cried and one jury member looked away. The pictures shown in court revealed that new and old bruising and burned skin on Tramelle's body as well as the blood in the basement where his father had beaten him to death. Prosecuting Attorney Joel Gabrielse told the jury that Tramelle's 14 year old brother had stolen some pencils from his art class and call was made to his home about it:

"Knowing of the call home to school, Terry Sturgis took the wooden club and said, "Me and my stick,
we gonna have some fun"

Terry started to beat his 14 year old son and when he was done, he started to beat on Tramelle. Police entered the home and were shocked by what they saw:

"When I went to give chest compressions, I ripped open Tramelle's shirt and there were burn marks
covering his whole stomach and chest area. He was cold"
Police Officer - Andrew Witt

"I never seen anything like that"
Ambulance Technician - Grant Baker

Defense Attorney, Jeff Killel said that his client was not aware that beating Tramelle with the stick could cause him to die. Terry claimed that Tramelle fell down the stairs and choked on his own vomit, blocking his airway and causing him to die.

Tremble's mother was in the courtroom when pictures of her son were shown to the jury. During the testimony of a Homicide Detective, Tiffany Vera Townsend, also saw pictures of her eight and 14 year old sons and the injuries they had suffered at the hands of their father. Terry showed no emotions as pictures were shown, in fact he chose not to look at the pictures on the screen in the courtroom, though he had seen them already outside the courtroom.

Where was Tiffany when all of this was happening to her children? She was living with her family:

"The decision that Terry and I made to have our kids move to South Bend was mutual. When I left
Terry, I moved back with my family in Illinois. I still worked in the area, I saw my kids every day until
they moved to South Bend. When they moved to Southbend, it became harder for me to see them
but I never lost custody of them"

Tiffany claimed that she planned to move to South Bend to be near her children, but when she talked to Terry about it, he started to blackmail her because she had been convicted of check fraud and never completed her probation and there was a warrant out for her arrest:

"The only reason I hadn't turned myself in with the warrant arrest was because I was afraid to
leave my kids, I was afraid not to see them. But he definitely used it as power to try to keep the
kids from me although, as I stated before, he never had more custody than I, legally"

What does that even mean? Who cares who had "custody" of the children? What matters is that you hid from the police to protect yourself, you weren't seeing your children anyway, by your own admission, because they lived too far away. You should have turned yourself in from the start and maybe your son would still be alive.

Tiffany did finally turn herself in and she spent four and a half months doing work release while her five children stayed with the monster that was their father. Tiffany only had communication through letters and phone calls:

"Even then I didn't think that was the best decision, because they weren't with me. But I trusted him,
I trusted his mom. I trusted his family members. That was a decision that I needed ot make at the
moment. I want everyone to know that I was never, not there. I want everyone to know that I was
lied to and betrayed. That my kids love me and that if there was anything that would have
been said
or done differently, I would have done it"

Another lie, Tiffany. You could have turned yourself in sooner, you chose to keep yourself free, while your children were serving a sentence they would never forget and Tramelle was sentenced to death so that YOU could stay out of jail.

In June of 2012, Terry Sturgis, who was 36 at the time, was sentenced to 140 years in prison with the Judge saying that even if he got good time credit, he would be 104 years old before he would ever get out. Kimberly Townsend, Tramelle's aunt, was in court that day:

"There's no justice, there is no justice for what happened to my nephew. He had all of my family
fooled, he hd his friends fooled, he had his family fooled, we thought for a long time that
Terry was a good father"

Terry's son said in court that he was embarrassed to go to school with bruises and have ot make up excuses for what had happened adding that he had a second chance at life and he wasn't afraid any more. Kimberly also stated about her nephews:

"All of them are heroes because they came out and finally spoke up and said stuff that they
weren't telling us and they finally came out and had the courage to speak up on their behalf
and I think that was, I know that was because of Tramelle giving them that strength and
courage to speak up. If it's going on in your home, it's happening somewhere, speak up,
tell somebody, tell somebody and as much as we loved him and hugged him and could give
him all the support, he was still too afraid to tell us what was happening"

In court, several people wore T-shirts in memory of Tramelle, one was a reproduction of a painting Tramelle had done, while some shirts simply read "Stop Child Abuse". Tiffany spoke about how she had picked up Tramelle's last report card and his death certificate in the say say and she said to Terry:

"May God have mercy on you, because I never will"

Terry was given time in court to make an apology, instead, he started making excuses claiming he had been drinking and using drugs that day. Terry's statement was cut short when the Judge stated that the abuse had been going on long before that day adding that what was done was done with brutality on a regular basis and the Terry had enjoyed doing what he had done to his sons.

When it was her turn to face the courts, Delia was crying when she said she was sorry, to her grandson, adding that she didn't know about the violence that he and his siblings had been going through. Unlike most Grandmothers, she had lied at first, about knowing there had been abuse going on, then admitted that she may have heard her son say he was going to "woop" the children, but in the end, she decided to lie to someone who already KNEW the truth, her grandson. Delia didn't lift a finger to help her suffering grandchildren and then tried to make it okay by apologizing and adding more lies.

Just a few minutes minutes after she had spoken, her 15 year old grandson took the stand to say that Delia knew and should have notified someone:

"I had to suffer and my grandma let it go on an and chose my father over the grandchildren. It was a crisis
situation with my brothers and I had to keep it to myself. I have empathy for some thing. She didn't abuse
me but she should still be held accountable"

This forgiving 15 year old thought that home detention was what his grandmother should get to pay for what she allowed to happen to him and his siblings. Luckily, St. Joseph County Superior Judge, Jane Woodward-Miller realized that was not punishment enough and after a five day trial in which the jury found her guilty, sentenced her to two ten year terms to run consecutively:

"I don't know if there has been a case that has broken the heart of a community like this case. There was
multiple years of pain and harm. These injuries reflect a brutality that is beyond our comprehension. You
were involved in the beatings. It's not just that you knew what was happening, you predicted one of the
children would die at his hands"
Judge Jane Woodward-Miller


Tramelle LaVaunn Sturgis, age 10, of South Bend, Indiana passed away on Friday, November 4, 2011. He is the cherished son of Tiffany Townsend and is survived by many loving family members and friends.

Family and friends will gather to celebrate Tremble's life on Monday, November 14, 2011 at Castle Hill Funeral Home: 248 155th Place, Calumet City, Illinois with a visitation and funeral service from 10:00 a.m. until 12 noon followed by interment services at Beverly Cemetery.

He will be missed forever by all those whose life he touched.

SOUTH BEND - Jesus loves children so much that he decided to carry away into His arms Tramelle LaVaunn Sturgis on his 10th birthday, October 26, 2011. Tramelle was born October 26, 2001, in Gary, Indiana, to Tiffany Vera Townsend and Terry Sturgis. Coming from Gary, IN, he moved to South Bend. He was a 4th grade student at Madison Primary Center. He loved art, math and reading. He also loved Dragon Ball Z, drawing, playing video games, eating bananas, riding his bike, telling jokes, and helping his little brothers and sisters with their homework. Tramelle's memory will be cherished in the hearts of many South Bend Community residents.

Survivors include his mother, Tiffany Townsend; father, Terry Sturgis; his sister, Takiyah Townsend; three brothers, Terry Sturgis Jr., Terrance Sturgis and Terrion Sturgis; maternal grandmother, Regina Townsend; paternal grandmother, Deollia Castile; maternal great-grandparents, Robert & Dolores Townsend; along with a host of aunts, uncles, cousins, other relatives and friends.

This page was created on February 28, 2014
Death occurred in the state of Indiana

If you do not like what you see printed on this page, please see my DISCLAIMER statement. THANK YOU!

For information about how to report child abuse, please click the link below and you will be taken to a page that has an alphabetical, state by state listing of how to report child abuse for which state you are looking for and for some other countries.

Visit my child abuse quilt to see other places about preventing child abuse.

This page will open up in a new window so you won't lose your place while
visiting the Angels on my site.

Call this number to report child abuse ANY WHERE in the United States!
1-800-4-A-Child  1-800-422-4453

Child Abuse Intro
Child Abuse Links 1
It Is A Human Life

7 Steps To Prevention
Child Abuse Links 2
Child Abuse Poetry
Child Abuse Songs
Report Abuse
Child Abuse Links 3
Child Abuse Quilt