Kyle Anton Robinson

January 14, 2011 - June 13, 2011
Find A Grave Memorial

Kyle was an adorable little five month old baby, I don't know him or his family, but I can see by his pictures that he was a precious little Angel sent straight from Heaven above. A call was made to 911 saying that a child was "in distress". A neighbor tried to do CPR and was unsuccessful. On June 10, 2011 at about 7:20 p.m., Paramedics and Police arrived at the home of Kelly Robinson-Maresca and Angel Luis Santiago, her boyfriend. There were two other children in the home at the time, both children were under the age of five, both of these children were unharmed. Paramedics had to push Angel out of the way in order to get access to Kyle and to try to help him. Angel was hysterical and had to be medicated in order to calm down.

Kyle Robinson was taken to Yale-New Haven Hospital and he was put on life support, the hospital said that Kyle was not likely to survive and he didn't. An autopsy revealed that Kyle had died of blunt force trauma to his head  with injuries to his brain, neck, spinal cord and eyes and his death was ruled a homicide.

The Department Of Children And Families had been to the home in April of 2012, however, that incident was eventually determined to have been an accident. In May, a second call came in claiming that Angel was neglecting the children in the home and had left them unattended. DCF met with Kelly and a plan was put in to place so that Kelly could have relatives help Angel with the children and in home services were going to be set up for the family. Days before Kyle died, DCF had been to the home and found the children were being taken care of and everything seemed to be okay. Since Kyle's death, DCF was going to investigate more:

"This is a tragedy and our thoughts and prayers go out to the loved ones of this young boy.
The death of a child deeply affects everyone at the Department and most of those who
were recently working to help the family. It is now our responsibility to look at the case and
see what can be learned to make a senseless death like this less likely to reoccur"
Commissioner Joette Katz

In March of 2014, the jury, Superior Court Judge Frank Lannotti and others in the courtroom heard the words:

"He's a monster. Our family opened our hearts to him and he ripped it out"
Tina B. - Kelly's cousin

Angel Luis Santiago, who was 37 years old at the time, was sitting next to his lawyer, Chief Public Defender David F. Egan, crying and wiping his eyes. The State's Attorney, Kevin D. Lawlor said that the injuries Kyle had sustained were consistent with a child who had been shaken. Angel and David Egan didn't agree:

"This is not a shaken baby case"

Angel and David said that Kyle could have been injured days before:

"What happened to Kyle was an accident, I did not shake Kyle"

Angel testified that Kyle had fallen and one of Kelly's family members had asked him not to say anything because they didn't want DCF to get involved and possibly take away the children. Angel told the court that he had taken good care of the children, cooking for them, cleaning the house, playing with them, making paper mache and teaching them how to speak in English as well as Spanish:

"My boys mean everything to me. The last thing I ever wanted to do was hurt the people I love"

Angel said that he failed to keep Kyle safe. David Egan said that many questions were left unanswered:

"I don't think Angel Santiago knows exactly what happened"

While David Egan was asking for a sentence of seven to eight years, Kevin Lawlor asked for the maximum, which would be 11 years adding that Angel had violated what was a sacred trust when caring for a child:

"All the possibilities for a young life were taken away by Santiago, in an instant. This was
a defenseless, utterly 110 percent defenseless baby that was left in his hand. He ended
Kyle Robinson's life and wrecked the lives of those around him"

Kevin Lawlor went on to say that Angel had an "unremarkable" background in which he had been convicted of things such as drug related crimes and carrying a firearm and that though he was a high school drop out, he did go work:

"Whatever his background is, it just pales in comparison with the ferocity of this case. What
punishment fits the killing of a four month old child in a moment of stress of rage? What
punishment fits that scenario? From my perspective, there is no punishment that fits"

Kelly did not speak in court, though a letter was read that she had written, where she said it was hard for her to explain to her other children where their brother was and she was having a hard time sleeping. Kelly wanted to know how Angel could have taken the life of Kyle. Kelly's mother did speak in court and she said:

"My daughter and her boys loved him. Maybe Angel will tell us and then we'll stop hating him"

At that point, Angel put his head down.

Saying that Angel had violated the trust he had been given when he was left with the children Judge Frank Lannotti sentenced him to 18 years, suspended after nine years:

"The punishment has to be server, when the case involves the defenseless, especially babies.
The child's gone. The trust was placed in you and the failure of the trust, I don't think they'll
ever understand. Things are skewed when a child dies before a parent. It's not the way it's
supposed to occur"
Judge Frank Lannotti

When Angel left the courtroom that day, he looked back at Kelly's family and then at his own. Outside of the courtroom, Kevin Lawlor said that it would not have been possible for Kyle to live with a severed spinal cord for two days and he said he understood and respected the decision the Judge had made in sentencing Angel. A family friend stood up for Angel:

"He loved them more than I can possibly express. He's an amazing person, very sweet. He's
devastated. He's very devastated. Kyle's death was an accident"
Coreena B.

Angel had entered a plea under the Alford plea doctrine, meaning that he did not admit he was guilty of the death of Kyle, but he knew there was enough evidence against him for the State to get a conviction.


Robinson, Kyle Anton

Kyle Anton Robinson, 5 Months, A Life Not Yet Lived, died June 13, 2011 at Yale New Haven Hospital.

We prayed for a miracle but were only able to give one.

He is survived by his mother, Kelly Robinson Maresca; brothers, Sean and Evan Robinson; grandparents, Daniel and Carol DeVoe and Lawrence and Kathy Robinson; uncles, Daniel DeVoe II and Lawrence Robinson II; and many loving family members.

Visiting hours will be held on Saturday, June 18, 2011 from 2-4 p.m. at Keenan Funeral Home, 238 Elm Street, West Haven.

A funeral service will follow at 4 p.m. in the funeral home. Burial will be private.

The family would like to thank the New England Organ Bank for their comfort and kindness during a difficult time.

Those wishing to send condolences online may do so at www.keenanfuneralhome.com.

Published in New Haven Register on June 16, 2011

This page was created on June 25, 2014

Death occurred in the state of Connecticut

If you do not like what you see printed on this page, please see my DISCLAIMER statement. THANK YOU!

For information about how to report child abuse, please click the link below and you will be taken to a page that has an alphabetical, state by state listing of how to report child abuse for which state you are looking for and for some other countries.

Visit my child abuse quilt to see other places about preventing child abuse.

This page will open up in a new window so you won't lose your place while
visiting the Angels on my site.

Call this number to report child abuse ANY WHERE in the United States!
1-800-4-A-Child  1-800-422-4453

Child Abuse Intro
Child Abuse Links 1
It Is A Human Life

7 Steps To Prevention
Child Abuse Links 2
Child Abuse Poetry
Child Abuse Songs
Report Abuse
Child Abuse Links 3
Child Abuse Quilt