Conner Avery Bachuss
September 20, 2008 - December 10, 2010
Find A Grave Memorial

Ronald Saunders ll had a violent past, yet he managed to insert himself into the life of Mashanna Bachuss and her children. In the year 2005, Ronald had been under investigation by Children's services in North Carolina. Ronald had a girlfriend with a son, that child missed three days of daycare and when he finally showed up, he has an eye that was bloodshot and bruised, he had bruising behind his ears and on his forehead. This child was removed from that home and though he was never charged with any crime related to the bruises on that child, he never suffered any further injuries after being removed from that home.

While serving in the U.S. Marines in the year 2007, Ronald was convicted on three different occasions for assaults on other marines. Two of these attacks were Ronald binding the other Marine and then hitting them and the other was when Ronald choked another Marine until he passed out and then dropped him on a cement deck, fracturing the mans skull. On another occasion, he choked another Marine, though that charged was dismissed.

The year 2008, found Ronald living with Mashanna and on the morning of December 5, Mashanna was ill with a kidney stone. Mashanna was in sever pain and had just gone to sleep that morning when one of her daughters brought her son Conner into the room because he wanted to see his mother. Ronald told the children that their mother was sick and needed her sleep so the children left the room. When Mashanna was feeling better that morning, she got up and was going to make breakfast for the children before they went to church. Ronald came into the room and asked if Conner had been hurt the night before and Mashanna told him no. Mashanna went to her sons room and came back out carrying him, he was unresponsive and she screamed for Ronald to help her before calling 911. Conner was transported to the hospital by ambulance.

Hospital staff found injuries on Conner including internal bleeding, severe brain damage, large bruises on his back and 114 puncture wounds, a thumbtack was removed from the top of his stomach. Conner was a strong little boy who fought for five days to survive with his family by his side. Doctors did an MRI and he was found to be brain dead so it was suggested to Mashanna that life support be removed from Conner. Mashanna was in agreement, not wanting Conner to suffer needlessly, though she asked that he remain on life support long enough for her family to come and tell him good bye. Conner died in the arms of his mother who then held him until the Medical Examiner come to take him. It was said that Conner died of suffocation.

Ronald had been a suspect from the beginning since he was the only adult with Conner when his was injured. Police did not arrest him at first, they wanted to build up their case against him. Mashanna and Ronald were no longer together, though he harassed and stalked her, calling her and following her around town until December 23, 2010 when Police felt they had enough evidence and he was arrested and charged with the murder of Conner, his bail was set at $1 million dollars.

Ronald was not willing to accept the blame for what was done to Conner, he blamed the daycare, his sisters and even Conner's mother. Ronald eventually told another inmate that he had been asleep on the floor next to Conner and in his sleep, Conner had kicked him in the back. Ronald says he lost control and ended up holding Conner's head down, having one of his own legs across Conner''s back and the other across his legs and that he had a pin in his hand when he finally came around and realized what he was doing. This inmate wrote down what he had been told and it wasn't submitted to the court until the second day of the trial and by then it was too late, though he did agree to testify if needed, in any further trials against Ronald with the one request that he receive protection from him.

In 2012, Defense Attorney David Bundrick claimed that the blame was put on Ronald from the start and it was never even considered that one of the children in the home may have been to blame for Conner's death. David said that the Police were set on prosecuting Ronald so they only investigated him and no one else. David claimed that there was evidence that proved his client was innocent, but that evidence was being ignored. Assistant Commonwealth Attorney Jim Harris said that the only person who could have killed Conner, was Ronald

The jury was hung in the case since there were no witnesses to what had happened, so Ronald was not convicted. I wonder why there HAD to be a witness, so many other cases are prosecuted and convicted without a witness. Prosecutors wanted to make sure he was sent to prison, so Ronald was given a plea deal, along with the Alford Plea which allows him to say he was not guilty, but knows that the evidence against him is strong enough for a conviction. The plea deal was guilty to second degree manslaughter for which Ronald received only ten years in prison. Ronald would be eligible for parole in 2012 and a petition was set up to hopefully stop that from happening.

In March of 2014, Mashanna was trying to get longer sentences for those convicted of killing while abusing them. It was shocking to her that under the laws at this time, Ronald could get out of prison as early as December of 2014:

"He was a sweet little boy, extremely lovable, he was pretty much like the class
clown of our family"

A potential new law, called Conner's Law, would make causing a child's death while abusing them would be considered a Class B Felony which would be a mandatory sentence of 10 to 20 years with a mandatory 85% of the time served. Why not make it a LONGER sentence, like LIFE, with 100% of the time served? Why not choose a name that represents ALL children who have been abused to death and make it a WORLD WIDE law to protect them all? When are child abuser/killers REALLY going to be held accountable for their actions? Getting out of prison at all should NOT be an option!

I am unable to find any information on Conner's Law actually becoming a law. I mean no disrespect to anyone when I repeat my views on naming laws after children who have been abused to death. We don't need any more laws named after these children, we need the laws that are already on the books, to be followed, we need to STOP allowing child abusers/killers to plea out of what they have done, we need ONE law, that law should say that if you abuse a child to death, you go to jail for the rest of your life, no plea deals, no parole, no second chances. These children are not given a second chance, their killers don't deserve any better.

I would like to commend those who are in charge of the Facebook page "Conner's Coalition". So often a page is made for a child and then after a couple of years, it just sits there, inactive. I just checked on that page and it says that two hours ago a post was made and they are updating with posts about other children as well. I think that is true dedication to a cause and I am sure that Conner would be proud that his page is still up, active and being used for its intended use.


The Paducah Sun
December 13, 2010

Conner Avery Bachuss, 2, of Paducah, Ky., passed away Friday, December 10, 2010, at Kosair Children's Hospital in Louisville, Ky. He was born in Paducah, Ky.

Conner attended Lovelaceville United Methodist Church.

Conner is survived by his mother, Mashanna Bachuss of Paducah, Ky.; his father, Jeremy Bachuss of Paducah, Ky.; his sisters, Lakyn Bachuss, Olivia Bachuss and Vada Bachuss, all of Paducah, Ky.; his brother, Chandler Bachuss of Paducah, Ky.; his grandparents, David and Patsy Edwards of Paducah, Ky., Tommy and Janet Bachuss of Paducah, Ky., David and Sherre O'Donley of Paducah, Ky.; his great-grandparents, Mary Greenwood of Paducah, Ky., Pauline Edwards of Woodlawn, Va., Frank and Edith Carter of Galax, Va., and Mary and Joseph Traylor of Melber, Ky.; his aunts and uncles, Tanya Stauble of Houston, Texas, Jonathan Bachuss of Paducah, Ky., Sean O'Donley of Elizabethtown, Ky., and Justin Elliott of Paducah, Ky.; several great-uncles, great-aunts; and several cousins.

Funeral services will be at 1:00 p.m. Wednesday, December 15, 2010, at Milner & Orr Funeral Home of Paducah with the Rev. Eddie Lee and Mr. Terrell Lee officiating. Burial will follow at Lovelaceville Cemetery.

Visitation will be from 5:00 p.m. until 8:00 p.m. Tuesday, December 14, 2010, at Milner & Orr Funeral Home of Paducah.

Expressions of sympathy may take the form of contributions to Conner Bachuss Benefit Fund, c/o Paducah Bank, 555 Jefferson St., Paducah, KY 42001 or, c/o BB&T Bank, 1601 Broadway, Paducah, KY 42001.

Thank you goes out to Shanon who cared enough to send this story to me so that Conner could be honored here among the many Angels who have left this world too soon.

Death occurred in the state of Kentucky
This page was created on August 17, 2014

If you do not like what you see printed on this page, please see my

For information about how to report child abuse, please click the link below and you will be taken to a page that has an alphabetical, state by state listing of how to report child abuse for which state you are looking for and for some other countries.

Visit my child abuse quilt to see other places about preventing child abuse.

This page will open up in a new window so you won't lose your place while
visiting the Angels on my site.

Call this number to report child abuse ANY WHERE in the United States!
1-800-4-A-Child  1-800-422-4453

Child Abuse Intro
Child Abuse Links 1
It Is A Human Life

7 Steps To Prevention
Child Abuse Links 2
Child Abuse Poetry
Child Abuse Songs
Report Abuse
Child Abuse Links 3
Child Abuse Quilt