Ellorah Rose Warner
- January 24, 2015
A 19 day old baby was reported missing by her parents, Matthew Warner and Tawni Wallis on January 23, 2105. A search was done for this little Angel while her parents were at the Sheriff's Office. What really happened to this precious little girl was horrifying.

30 year old Matthew Brendan Warner would most likely have been in prison when Ellorah was reported to be missing, had it not been for the States prison realignment program. Matthew was out on probation instead:

"Warner, at the time of his latest arrest was on post release community
supervision stemming from a November 14, 2012 conviction for unlawful
driving or taking a vehicle with three priors. The priors were from 2003,
2004 and 2005"
Richardo Santiago - Spokesman Los Angeles DA Office

"From March of 2004 to April of 2013, Warner was an inmate on parole.
He has three convictions for vehicle theft and one for grand theft, we in and
out on parole a couple of times"
Bill Sessa - Department Of Corrections And Rehabiliation

A bill called Public Safety Realignment Bill, Assembly Bill 109 that took effect on October 1, 2012, meant that nonviolent felons could be moved from the state prison system to the county. Matthew was what they called a non-non-non and he was eligible for release with probation:

"We call them N-3's: non-violent, non-sexual, non-serious offenders. He,
is your non-non-non coming out of state prison. He came out of prison
as an AB 109"
Margarita Perez - Probation Department

Neighbors said that they had seen Matthew walking outside carrying what they described as a "bundle", while Tawni was at work on January 23rd. At about 9:00 p.m., Matthew and Tawni reported Ellorah missing. Ellorah would be pronounced dead at the scene at about 7:30 a.m. the next day. Neighbors were saddened by what had happened:

"It's very sad, you know, because it hurt's a lot of us, you know, because
this was done in our neighborhood, in our area"
Arthur Allen

"We all live there and we're pretty familiar with the layout of the land up here.
We were trying to look in places where we were gonna hide something
Ed Griffen

Lt. Holly Francisco said that Matthew had never had any offenses against people before now. Sadly, Matthew's first offense against people would be against his own 19 day old daughter, Ellorah Rose Warner. The morning after they reported their daughter missing, Matthew lead Police to a Park And Ride lot where he showed them a pickup truck and inside,they found the body of Ellorah. Matthew was arrested and held with a bail of $2.25 million and was facing a maximum of life in prison if he was convicted on charges of murder, assault on a child causing death, torture, oral copulation or sexual penetration with a child ten years or younger and aggravated sexual assault.

Toxicology results were not available as the Coroner said they were "deferred", which meant they were not being released due to the ongoing investigation. It was clear, however, that a homicide took place, when asked if it was a homicide Police replied:

"Absolutely. We have further work to do"
Lt. Holly Francisco

"The suspect lead detectives to an area where the baby could
possibly be. Deputies went there, the baby was located and
pronounced dead at the scene"

Lt. Holly Francisco said that Tawni was going to be questioned further:

"It's a tragic situation for everybody involved. She's behaving as any
mother would who just lost a child would behave"

Nan Allison is Ellorah's grandmother and she sat in a lawn chair outside the apartment where her granddaughter had lived, Ellorah had been her first grandchild and she had only learned about her death a few hours before. Nan said that Tawni had left for her job as a daycare provider while Matthew and Ellorah were sleeping in the bedroom. Nan told Police she heard some noised coming from the room and then a weak cry from Ellorah, but as time went on, she didn't hear anything else and figured they had gone back to sleep. Around 5:00 p.m., Nan noticed that the breast milk that should have been gone by that time, was still in the fridge and Matthew was acting oddly. Nan went to use a neighbors phone and Matthew left and that's when neighbors said they had seen him leave with a bundle.

Tawni came home from work and she and Matthew spoke before going to the Sheriff's station at about 9:30 p.m. to report their daughter missing:

"He told my daughter someone had taken the baby from the apartment"

Nan said that Ellorah had been born with blue eyes and brown hair and she was a good baby who hardly ever fussed about anything. Nan had been happy to show her first grandchild to everyone:

"She was perfect in every way. I don't even have a photo of her. The
ones they took at the hospital haven't arrived yet"

Nan said that Tawni was a doting mother who hadn't even used the bassinet or crib that was purchased for the baby because she always wanted to have her next to her.

The community came together just a few hours after it was announced that Ellorah had died, for a candle light vigil at Old Orchard Park 6:30 p.m. on the 27th.

Tawni was said to have been crying ever since her daughter went missing and the news about what had really happened devasted her:

"She's not stopped crying since that day. She's definitely struggling and
not taking it so easily"
April Gunckel - Friend

April said that the one thing that would help Tawni the most is if people would stop spreading rumors about what had happened to Ellorah:

"One person has been charged for a reason. She is regretful for leaving
the baby in Matthew's care"

April set up a fundraising site to help with funeral expenses and anyone wishing to help out, can visit the site here:

The people who went to the vigil were family, friends and strangers all wanting to show their support for Tawn and to remember Ellorah:

"It's beyond words. I'm a parent and I can't imagine that pain she's going through"
Michael Cruz

Matthew's mother was at the vigil and along with everyone, was struggling to understand what happened:

"That's something like a parent's worst nightmare, that someone in the human
race could behave so inhumanely with no regard and to someone just barely
three weeks. I don't get it"
Victoria Thomson

Victoria said that her son was in recovery for an addiction to narcotics and that he had been doing well up to now:

"He was on top of the world with Ellorah and Tawni"

Matthew was in court on the 27th and the Public Defender asked that his arraignment be moved to February 18th and Matthew only nodded his agreement when asked if that would be okay with him. Police were asking anyone with information to call the L.A. County Sheriff's Department Homicide Bureau at: 323-890-5500 or if a person wanted to call anonymously they could call Crime Stoppers at 800-222-8477.

Thank you Dana for caring about Ellorah and wanting her to be remembered.

UPDATE: (Thank you Dana for this update!)

In October of 2015, Matthew Brendan Warner was 30 years old when he was sentenced to 50 years to life in prison.
Matthew was charged with murder, assault on a child causing death, torture, oral copulation and sexual penetration with a child ten years or younger as well as aggravated assault of a child:

"That's something like a parent's worst nightmare that someone in
the human race could behave so inhumanely with no regard and to
someone just barely three weeks. I don't get it"
Victoria Law Thomson - Matthew's mother

Matthew had entered a no contest plea to one count of first degree murder and he also admitted to a conviction in a prior case on September 2nd. All of the other charges against him were dropped due to the plea agreement and Judge David Walgreen accepted the plea deal and handed down the 50 year to live sentence after he heard statements from the victims, Ellorah's mother and grandmother.

This page was created on January 30, 2015
Death Occurred in the state of California

If you do not like what you see printed on this page, please see my DISCLAIMER statement. THANK YOU!

For information about how to report child abuse, please click the link below and you will be taken to a page that has an alphabetical, state by state listing of how to report child abuse for which state you are looking for and for some other countries.

Visit my child abuse quilt to see other places about preventing child abuse.

This page will open up in a new window so you won't lose your place while
visiting the Angels on my site.

Call this number to report child abuse ANY WHERE in the United States!
1-800-4-A-Child  1-800-422-4453